Tuesday, June 12, 2012

intergalactic planetary


Here's where yesterday's space musing led me... Why, if it isn't a bleach-dyed black clutch! The beginnings were in two black bags found at JoAnn's. They were on clearance for $3.00 or $4.00. I just purchased them like three days ago. So, it's probably something you can still find in their store.


I found a "spray bottle" (recently emptied, rinsed, and waiting patiently in my recycle bin) and mixed equal parts water with bleach. Remember: bleach is bleach. Consider that you might get misted. Wear old clothes.


And went to work. Outside, if you please. 


This sprayer tends toward mistiness, so the small clutch was kind of my test subject. You can vary the pressure on the nozzle and thus affect the size of the droplets. It's something you have to play around with. The bleach effect is noticeable immediately, but it will set and become more intense after a moment, so spray and then wait to view the results before spraying again. This is what it looked like right away...


And after a minute or so...


The end result.




Total spent: 
    $7.00 for two clutches
+  $1.49 for bleach
-------------
=  $8.49

Also, consider the fact that the entire project took less than 10 minutes. Not too shabby, right? Galaxy clutches accomplished!



8 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the 80s/90s-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindi! It reminds me of the 80s and 90s, too. I might just have to dig up my Jordache jeans...

      Delete
  2. These are absolutely amazing!! So pretty! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I've got to try this :) I found you through craftgawker, and I'm so glad to have discovered your creative corner of the web. Will be following you for sure!

    Jen
    http://drawingsunderthetable.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'll be checking out your blog as well.
      -Catherine

      Delete
  4. Love this! Did you have to tape off the zipper area to protect it from getting bleached?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Actually, I didn't even think of taping the zipper. Lucky for me, it didn't end up getting bleached somehow. Well, I must be naturally precise when it comes to spray bottles. I can think of no other logical explanation. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...